It is Christmas performance week at Twinkle and Minty’s school and a heavenly angel and a carol singer need sustenance after a busy day singing to the crowds, so today I made them Christmas Tree Cupcakes as a treat.
This is a super cute recipe and the kids thought they were amazing.
The cupcakes were made from a basic chocolate cake recipe and the trees were made from butter cream. I hope you enjoy the cupcake recipe, it makes a lovely rich chocolate sponge.
Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
- 100g plain flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 135g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 40g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla in a separate bowl and slowly pour into the mixture. Beat well to combine and then turn the mixer up to high until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases and cook for 18-20 mins.
Butter Cream Recipe
- 150g butter (room temperature)
- 300g icing sugar
- Green Food Colouring
Beat the butter until soft and then gradually add the icing sugar until well combined.
Place into a piping bag and pipe a ‘tree’ shaped swirl on top of the cupcake.
You can use either a tube of chocolate icing or black icing to draw on the wire for the Christmas lights on your Christmas Tree Cupcake.
I used chocolate beans for the tree lights, which you can buy in the sprinkles section in the baking aisle at the supermarket. You could also use mini Smarties or M&Ms.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, you could make pipe christmas wreath cupcakes in the same way.